Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring running weather is here... hopefully it's stays!

I had an awesome run this morning! It was in the lower 50's when I started and around 60 when I finished. I set out to do 14 miles, the longest run I've ever done. Since it's only been 2 weeks since the princess 1/2, I wasn't sure how my legs would hold up. I decided to do two 3.5 mile out and backs. If I wasn't feeling it after the first 7 miles, I was just going to call it a day. I started out 'slow' so I wouldn't run out of steam at the end, but after a mile I realized I ran a 9:30 minute, which is fast for me on a long run. I decided to stick with that pace because it felt pretty comfortable. I finished 7 miles in 1:08, and still felt good. I stopped at my car for a few minutes to fill up my water bottles, and refuel. The second out and back was a lot harder, but I felt strong most of the way. I finished the last 7 miles in 1:12. My goal for my next 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks is to finish in 2:15, and when I reached 13.1 miles during my run, I was a minute ahead of that pace!

As soon as I stopped running the muscles in my legs started screaming. The hills around here, and the longer distance didn't make them happy, so I decided to try an ice bath when I got home. I've read about them several times, but I've never had the nerve to try one. It was horrible for the first minute, but got better once my body temperature adjusted. I'll be anxious to see if it helps with soreness tomorrow!

I'm really loving this weather, and hope it stays. I can see several outside runs in my future, especially since  I'm on spring break next week!

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't taken an ice bath...the thought makes me shiver! lol Great job on the post half run! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really cold! I was still pretty sore this morning, so I'm not sure it really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr that makes me cold too!!! How much ice do you put in?

    Way to go on the run!!!

    ReplyDelete